August 25, 2010

"Ever since then, she has been her old self again"

About three months ago, we rescued a 5 year-old female dog from the pound. We don't know her previous history; all we know is that she must have been really spoiled, and allowed to do everything in her old home that she wanted to.

We realized very soon, however, that she had practically no energy! There was nothing she was remotely interested in; she preferred to lie in her basket all day long, and, going for a walk simply wasn't an option. Although she would do her business in front of the door, she would immediately return to her "nest" afterwards.

After we had been able to dismiss such things as poor condition, grief, pain, and so on, there remained only the diagnosis of "listlessness". That's not at all an acceptable diagnosis for human egos, of course. But, a dog needs to get out into nature, to run and play several hours a day.

And so it was that I literally forced Tina to walk with me through the forest - every day twice. Getting away from the house was a catastrophe, because I had to physically drag her behind me, while she resisted madly by digging in on all fours. She would just continue to pull strongly on the leash in the direction of home and, as a last resort, she just lay down and refused to go another meter!

From the beginning, we had remarked upon her immense consumption of water, and on her appetite for sweet things like bananas and dried figs. That should have rung a bell, since these symptoms were a very clear indications that she possibly had diabetes, but she didn't!!

In any case, she was lying in her basket two days ago, when I heard a tremendous noise coming from her direction. I looked over at her, and she was cramping up like crazy, bending backwards and jerking; her tongue was hanging out; her saliva and urine were streaming out of her in huge amounts; and her legs were stiffly sticking out - in the very same posture as when digging in while on the leash!

We got a terrible shock, because her eplieptic seizure was so severe that we thought she would die. My husband, who luckily is always keeping a cool head and pro-active, looked after the little dog. However, she jumped up after a couple of minutes and stumbled around the room in a completely disoriented manner, foaming from the mouth.

After I had recovered from the shock of seeing her like that, I immediately looked into the GNM glossary. As a GNM-hobbyist it soon became clear to me that the incidence had something to do with a "motor-conflict" of "not being able to run away" or "feeling stuck"[Note: an epileptic seizure occurs in the healing phase during the epileptoid crisis"]. When I realized this, I called Helmut Pilhar (Austria) to confirm this. He gave us the good advice of trying to avoid all her "tracks", which made us immediately think of the dog- collar.

Ever since then, she has been her old self again (she had three more seizures on that day but they were not quite as severe as the first one, but bad enough, from our point of view!)

I can only guess what exactly had brought her into the healing phase. But, I have come to realize that it behooves us humans to think carefully about our authoritarian ways with animals, because, as you can see from my experience, one can make an epileptic out of a beloved animal by not pulling back a little bit on our ego.

Translated from the original German document

Disclaimer: The information in this testimonial does not replace professional medical advice.

 Return to Testimonial Index Page